Defiance has received a free update called Aftermath that builds “off of the climactic season two TV finale,” according to a Trion press release. There’s new content that will “carry players across various locales from Silicon Valley to Paradise as the world teeters on the verge of all-out war between the Earth Republic and Votanis Collective,” and it includes new events, contracts, pursuits, and enemies.
Don’t forget about the Thanksgiving-themed New Frontier Harvest which runs from November 26th through December 10th. As well, don’t forget about the Aftermath trailer that’s waiting for you behind the break.
Now that it’s a certainty that Defiance‘s tie-in television series will be getting another season, are you eager to jump back into shooting things in the Silicon Valley? The Aftermath update is coming, and it will bring with it plenty of new things to shoot. Seven new missions will be added to the game, bringing players from Silicon Valley to Paradise and back; a confrontation with the Pilgrims of the Guiding Light and an attempt to start a war between the Earth Republic and the Votanis Collective both await players taking on the update.
New enemies, new pursuits, and new contracts will help to round out the patch, giving players new things to fight along with new reasons to take part in the battle. There are also several planned quality-of-life improvements, including mission replay and improved co-op balancing for the season 2 maps. No release date has yet been announced, but it sounds as if players will have plenty to do when the aftermath hits.
Trion Worlds aims to publish Defiance‘s next expansion, Silicon Valley, next week on August 5th. The “completely free world expansion” will bolster the newly free-to-play MMO with new story content as well as a new modifier, Encryption, for weapons and shields. Says the studio,
Within the world expansion, players will find Karl Von Back has disappeared into Silicon Valley with his EGO-imbued followers, but it’s not the paradise they promised. The valley is overrun with Grid, and a strange cult, the Pilgrims of the Guiding Light, have taken hold in locations across the zone. As all new mysteries unravel, the populace of Silicon Valley calls for help, and only ark hunters have what it takes to face the trials ahead.
Trion intends to stream on Twitch this evening at 6 p.m. EDT to answer questions about the update.
Ready to roll out into more Defiance content? You’ll have to wait… until the weekend is over. Patch 2.1, Alter EGO, is going live on July 14th, bringing a new mission and two new factions into the game. The new mission helps keep the game’s lore humming along and should provide plenty of interesting revelations, as players investigate the apparently resurrected Karl Von Bach and his newfound desire to just give EGO implants to whoever wants them.
Meanwhile, the two new factions are the Tarr Family and the Defiant Few; the latter faction is headed by Camden Pace and promises big rewards to anyone who aids her goals. Players are also promised a new mission line and a new ark break in the coming weeks. If that’s just what you’ve been waiting for, load up your gun and get ready to roll out when Monday comes around.
Defiance‘s fifth DLC pack — Arktech Revolution — is now live for PC and Xbox 360 players. PlayStation 3 ark hunters will have access to the new content on April 29th (North America) and April 30th (Europe).
Trion’s update page divides the DLC into free and paid feature lists, the former of which includes an EGO cap rating increase, EGO rating progression, new enemy difficulty tiers, expert co-op maps, and more. Paid features include a new titles, a new outfit, daily contracts, 15 new perks, and more.
In addition to the release notes, the Defiance website also features an article by creative lead Trick Dempsey on the game’s EGO changes.
The latest Defiance State of the Game letter has been published on the official site. In it, the discussion centers around things the team is ardently working on, including changes to weapons, shields, the inventory system, the social system, objectives and UI. There is even a sneak peek at what lies ahead.
That will bring us to our second DLC, which you saw a sneak peek of during PAX. It’s going to be an exciting expansion with arkfall interiors, new boss encounters, and useful power-ups called spikes and stims. It’s a big update and I look forward to sharing more details soon.
After that, we’re putting a major focus on the chase. EGO, gear, and weapon improvements as those are needed to be a core part of the ark hunter experience. Not only will ark hunters improve over time, but their loadout and gear decisions will matter. Choosing to specialize in spitting out flaming death will obliterate flash and blood opponents, yes, but that may not be the best way to handle a two-ton mechanical juggernaut. The New Frontier is a dangerous and unpredictable place, and only the most adaptable ark hunters survive
Trion Worlds has announced that the first major content update for Defiance will arrive on August 20th. Called “Castithan Charge Pack“, the new content will deliver a new arkfall, new dueling options, game improvements and more.
As the new add-on content pack goes live, the following additions will be made to the game for all players, regardless of whether they have purchased the new content:
- New Charge Weapons – shotguns, sniper rifles and pistols
- Sieges — a new type of dynamic content mode that combines Capture-and-Hold control points with kill scores, as enemies invade various mission locations, forcing players to band together to hold them off
- New Monolith Major Arkfall – highly challenging arkfall event with a tough new boss and loot
- Military Academy – a new player-versus-player capture and hold map
- Duels Game Mode – challenge your friends online in one-on-one combat
- Additional in-game changes, including newly enhanced map, and new chat window
Players who purchase the Castithan Charge Pack will receive access to the following:
- Play as the alien Castithan Species – create a new character or change your existing one
- New Battle Arena Game Mode – an instanced single player “horde mode”-style game that opens up a new story mission line, Castithan Charge Blade weapon and in-game item
- Unique version of the Raptor – a new four passenger truck designed to help small groups of arkhunters to quickly traverse the terraformed Bay Area
- Unique Castithan outfit
- New Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 system Achievements and Trophies
Defiance developers have promised players five major updates this year alone and are touting the first one that will be incoming shortly. Among performance and gameplay fixes, the team is introducing a new game mode called “sieges” and new TV tie-ins.
Here is what players can expect from the first update.
You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
- Access to play the Castithan Species
- Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
- Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
- Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
- A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
- A unique Castithan version of an outfit
- A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
- Access to New Pursuits
- New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for free:
- Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
- Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
- Access to a new PvP Map – Military Academy
- Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
- Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
- Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
- Select a new voice for you character
- Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
- New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
- Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
- More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
- Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change